Sunday, October 23, 2016

ACM-W Expert Hackathon and Base 10 Uppsala Hackathon

Had a super awesome weekend. Did two back to back hackathons Friday and Saturday. Friday was at Pollacks and it was the first hackathon put on by the ACM-W chapter. Super nice. The concept was to get some industry experts to lead groups in a hackathon and it went super well. I totally had the best group and the best expert. We worked on a charades board game rip off in react and I was so stoked to finally do a project in react and our expert knew how it worked so good and we managed to do so much in just a couple of hours. If you have to learn a new language or tech, I think it's about a million times better to learn it from someone who knows it as opposed to trying to teach it to yourself with reading and example code. But yeah, it was super chill, and ton of free food and it was really relaxed.

Saturday was more of a competition, startup, competitive kinda atmosphere. (I was quoting so much silicon valley in my head... like all the time.) Not super my jam, but I really liked the project. Me and my roommate met a guy who had the idea to kinda make chatbots for internet-of-things devices in the home. I thought it was really cool. So we worked with a heroku server, and tried playing with IBM watson stuff, and I started setting up a front end client in react (which was pretty much a react open source project I pulled) but super stoked. We got the heroku server and the watson thing hooked up, but didn't manage the front end connection before the presentation. But hopefully I'll get it working in the next week or so. Should be fun and yeah had a super awesome day.